Paying property taxes

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Paying property taxes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    michael.larson
    Participant

I have a property in Guanacaste owned through a corporation, and was able to get a neighbor to pay the taxes at the municipality, but he is unwilling to do that again this year. My lawyer is in San Jose. He indicates that he will have to go to Guanacaste to pay the taxes. My property manager, who is also unwilling to pay the taxes, says the taxes can be paid at the “Hacienda” in San Jose.

What is the real deal? Can the taxes on a property, and the declaration involved, be filed/paid in San Jose, or do I need to pay my lawyer to go to Guanacaste?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t believe so. I believe that you must pay your property taxes to the municipality in which your home is located in your case, somehwer in Guanacaste.

My question would be ‘why exactly’ is your ‘Property Manager’ refusing to do such a simple task? If he refuses to so something as simple as that, what is he actually doing for you as ‘property manager?’

It took me less than 15 minutes in the local office the last time I paid…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

robsoilman

I agree with Scott. It took me only about 20 minutes with very little Spanish. I just gave them the name of the corporation at the window in the municipality and paid in cash. They gave me a receipt and I was on my way. If your property manager can’t handle that, time to hire a new one.

Edited on Dec 14, 2006 13:05

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.