Potbellied pig transport to San Jose

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Potbellied pig transport to San Jose

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    katalan

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of how potbellied pigs fare in the “cargo” of airliners? I would travel on the same plane. We would have to transport him (“Ludwig”) in his kennel to Agua Zarcas immediately b/c he panics in unfamiliar circumstances, and this will be only his second long term move — from Phoenix to Costa Rica. The first was a five hour car drive from Tucson to northern Arizona, and he was completely distraught, even though I sat right next to his kennel. He’s been in the family for 12 years or I wouldn’t even consider this. Thanks!

maravilla

contact your local USDA and ask them about the requirements for importing a pig into costa rica. they are the only people who would know how you will do this. good luck.

soflodoug

I would be careful and would not take my eye off the pig as it may be considered food in costa rica and they have very high tariffs for importing pork type products. I would find out if the aduanis,customs,even considers a pig a pet?
    good luck

katalan

Thanks maravilla and soflodoug! Actually, our vet has already checked the import requirements for potbellied pigs and they are basically the same as for dogs — Ludwig needs a vet-certified clean bill of health and proof of all required vaccinations. I am concerned with “glitches” in getting him smoothly out of customs at the San Jose airport since it will be a very long day of travel for him — and we will have 2 more hours’ driving to go from San Jose to Agua Zarcas. We can’t let him out of his transport kennel until we get him home — pigs are a bit like horses in getting panicked and uncooperative when scared, and he is a very strong animal — a “leash” would do nothing to restrain or direct him because he would just “pull” any handler in any direction he goes. Ludwig is about 150 pounds — potbellied pigs are “miniature pigs” only compared to regular farm pigs, which are more like 600+ pounds. We can only let him out of the kennel inside a strong fence and he will not want to urinate inside the kennel. I have found “pet relocator” services willing to move him, but they are mucho expensive, $4,000 not including airfare. I was hoping someone might have moved a potbellied pig and could advise how well they handled the air transport. Many thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.