Problem Shipping to CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Problem Shipping to CR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tominbvi

We have decided to move to our new home in CR at the end of this year. To start we would like to ship our personal items only and try to furnish our home with CR products. The problem we are having is the volume would be no more than 2 4×4 pallets and the other problem is we currently live in the British Virgin Islands. I have contacted Arden shipping and they have been helpful. They politely explained the volume is to small for them to handle even if I get the goods to Miami. Would anyone have any suggestions.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

In the U.S., commercial moving companies (Bekins, Mayflower, Wheaton, et al) will ship partial loads. They will crate up whatever volume you have to ship and consolidate it into a container load headed for your destination. From the British Virgin Islands to Costa Rica might take a while to amass a containerful. That’s the problem.

If you can get your things to Miami, the rest of the trip shouldn’t be too difficult. This is not to suggest that it’ll be cheap.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I came here from the Cayman Islands in 1999 and had a similar problem at that time and have tried to dig up who helped me but unfortunately cannot find the information now …

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

rebaragon

When I moved to Costa Rica I basically only brought personal items, books and my daughters toys so I came across the same problem. Back then I sent some boxes via LACSA cargo. If you don’t have a lot, it may not be that expensive. I would check with the airlines regarding their cargo policies & charges. UPS type of delivery services are very expensive as a small box I wanted to send my sister last Christmas would have cost more than $400 to deliver! I chose to use the money for an airline ticket & personally gave her the gifts a bit late in July 🙂 However, once your cargo packages arrive in Aduanas, that’s another ballgame, be prepared to arm yourself with patience or hire a reputable agency to get your boxes out. The cost charged by CR is minimal, the time spent making the numerous lines are what can be a bit trying…

Andrew
    Keymaster

POSTED IN THE WRONG PLACE AND REPOSTED HERE BY SCOTT

Posted Oct 30,2007 1:14 PM leslieebush

Have you considered looking for people to share cargo space with you? We live in St. Thomas, USVI and have frineds going back and forth to CR all the time, some with homes there. Maybe you could advertise in the Island Trader and locate others in your position.

tominbvi

I would really be interested in speaking with people in the USVI that go back and forth to CR. I have never given any thought to consolidating frieght with anyone. I can be contacted using tpetronecr@gmail.com Thanks for the suggestion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.