Propane tanks

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Propane tanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    billjacq

We will be shipping in the near future, and need info on gas BBQs. All ours here in Canada use a standard 20lb propane tank with a standard valve/connection assembly. At our rental in CR the tank is larger – 30lb? – with a quick connect valve assembly, and I’ve not seen any of the smaller tanks (that I’m aware of). Will we need to get a conversion kit when we get there? Can the standard tank be refilled?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

billjacq, I’m not certain about the terminology you’re using, but maybe I can set the stage for you.

Lots of Costa Rican households have ranges that burn bottled gas. Folks typically get it at the local pulpuria in those round metal tanks that we typically associate with gas grills, travel trailers, etc. I think I know that they (the tanks, not the Costa Ricans) weigh or contain about twenty pounds of LP gas.

In the U.S., the standard valve assembly changed about 1998 or so for safety reasons. Older type tanks cannot be refilled there, I believe.

In Costa Rica, the valve-type that is no longer in use in the U.S. is still the common one for gas ranges. That’s the type of valve you’ll get if you exchange a tank at your local pulpuria.

Also in Costa Rica, if you buy a new gas grill it will most likely be of U.S. or Canadian origin and it will be equipped with the new type of valve. At EPA and probably elsewhere, you will be able to buy a tank or an extra tank for that new grill, and it will have the new U.S.-style valve. The old and new valves are different at least in that the thread direction has been reversed so that they are not interchangeable.

As far as I know, you cannot exchange an empty tank with the new U.S.-style valve for a full one at any pulpuria, ferreteria, etc. At least it’s not common. So what you must do is find a local dealer in exchange tanks who can send yours to the LP gas supplier to be refilled. Here in Grecia, the turnaround time is about a week.

The moral of this story is that, if you use the grill much, you should keep an extra tank so that you’re not without gas when the first one needs to be sent out to be refilled.

Does that help?

ticopaz

Hi there,
    You can indeed purchase the “new” BBQ style tanks around the San Jose valley at places like PriceMart etc… You can go directly to the main Tropigas facility just west of the Juan Santa Maria International airport and have them refilled as you wait from the Guard Entrance. Takes about 20 minutes or so. I have 2 tanks so when the one is done I have the backup until I make the run to Tropigas. There are also some gas stations like Total in Santana/Lindora that you can just purchase/exchange the new style tanks like is done with the older style CR tanks at the local pulperias. Hope this helps.

jafranz

I bought a new grill at EPA and bought the “Tico Connector” with hose and it works fine. That way I can exchange the “Tico tank” at grocery/ Most all of them carry the Tico Tank in stock. My friends send in their American tank which was new until it came back a week later and looked as if it had been dragged behind the truck.

billjacq

Thanks a lot everyone. The shippers don’t want me to pack the current tanks, even empty (which I fully understand), so this all makes us feel better.

Pura Vida

chorizo

Whats the price to fill up a tank [20lb or 30lb]. Does Tropic Gas come to ones home for refills? Thanks

albertoB

We bought a new BBQ at EPA with the American connector so we bought the local connector and converted it to Tico standard.
    Then we bought a used 25lb tank and now just call the local supplier who delivers a full one by motorcycle within an hour or two.

Alberto

rfalves

Hi You are NOT allowed to ship any propane tanks in a shipping container. Ron USCG Ret

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.