Residency law reform

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency law reform

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gdelahou

I read recently on International Living, that President Oscar Arias has submitted a reform proposal that would, among other things, modify Costa Rica Immigration law to make applying for residency less expensive and easier overall. The bill would allow foreigners to apply for residency while in Costa Rica (as opposed to requiring residency applicants to return to their home countries and apply at the nearest Costa Rican consulate). In addition, the immigration reform would, for the first time, allow for residency renewals at Banco de Costa Rica (Bank of Costa Rica) branches all over the country, rather than the central immigration office in San José. A $25 annual fee would go to social services, according to immigration officials. We shall see what happens with the bill.

Hi there, Guillo here in Jacksonville, do you know when this law will take effect. I am doing the paper work here and is really being hard to get it done. I am originally from NY, and it took me a while to get a copy of my Birth Certificate also with some letter attach and then i just send that document to the NY county office to get the signature verify,and believe it or not after that i have to send it to the NY State Depr. and then to the NY Costa Rican Consul my Family is in Costa Rica already and she is a citizen but this is crazy that i have to get al this done. And i am working also with the Consul in Miami to get my police report back and also my pension. Any sugestion. I should be out of the Army by the 1 of Aug this year but i dont see my self living in the near future becuase all this paperwork is taking so long.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The process you are going through with your birth and marriage certificates, police record, and pension verification are exactly what the law stipulates and exactly what everyone else who has become a resident has had to do. There’s nothing difficult about it. It just takes time and attention.

If it will make you feel any better (and I doubt it will), because I was born in the District of Columbia, my birth certificate not only had to be reissued by the D.C. Office of Vital Records and authenticated by D.C. government but also had to be authenticated by the U.S. State Department. I had to get Condolezza(sp?) Rice’s very own signature. If you think tracking her down wasn’t a challenge . . .

waoo i bet yes it just frustating becuase i was hoping to be there by Aug 1st and i dont think i will meet that deadline, but i guess i have to take it easy.
    Thank you so much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.