Resident discounts

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Resident discounts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vache

Hello. I was looking at local flights this morning, Nature Air specifically, and noticed that there are three categories for cost. Flex, promo, and locos.

Assuming that the cheapest fare (locos) is for residents and perhaps crazy people, heh, I wondered if having a pensionado cedula would apply for this discounted rate, or if it only applies to permanent residents.

Park entry fees, festivals and other events also have discounted rates for residents. Does anyone have experience trying to take advantage of these discounts using a pensionado cedula?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I can’t speak to Nature Air’s practices, but whenever we go someplace that offers a reduced rate for “nacionales”, I always declare that we’re residents and we always get the lesser rate.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”vache”]Hello. I was looking at local flights this morning, Nature Air specifically, and noticed that there are three categories for cost. Flex, promo, and locos.

Assuming that the cheapest fare (locos) is for residents and perhaps crazy people, heh, I wondered if having a pensionado cedula would apply for this discounted rate, or if it only applies to permanent residents.

Park entry fees, festivals and other events also have discounted rates for residents. Does anyone have experience trying to take advantage of these discounts using a pensionado cedula?[/quote]

Regardless of the particular entity’s current policy, it would not be a bad practice if more (or all) of us asked for the discounts. It may benefit us in the long run if we ask because it mat cause more of the transit companies, hospitality companies, etc. to offer the discounts or comply with our requests.

Scott, why not pursue a “WLCR Discount Card” for full time residents? I would think that you have enough “stroke” to at least pursue it!

Here in Samara, after we started the “FIRST FRIDAY” and now “THIRD THURSDAY” program(s) more and more restaurants have offered and given out discount cards to “regular customers”. They started out with a “no sales tax” offer with 2 different sets of “books”, but as time goes along more and more of them are “getting legal” by charging the 13% sales tax and then discounting the total bill by 15%.

Some even offer 20% discounts for September – November for full time residents.

And for those of you that may have an interest in starting a “FIRST FRIDAY” (or similar) program in your area, my offer still stands – I’ll help you get it started – all you need is an email list of local area expats and it is SO EASY!

Tomorrow, we will probably have 60-65 people at our FIRST FRIDAY! It’s a blast! My goal now is to have Scott and his lady friend attend – then I’ll work on David & Marsha, CostaricaFinca, Maravilla and maybe Sprite! The after party will be at my house and we will all watch Fox News together!

vache

I didn’t notice Vache on your guest list but I’ll get over it eventually. I’d rather watch hockey than Fox news anyways.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Sign us up 😆

Bibi
    Participant

[quote=”vache”]Hello. I was looking at local flights this morning, Nature Air specifically, and noticed that there are three categories for cost. Flex, promo, and locos.

Assuming that the cheapest fare (locos) is for residents and perhaps crazy people,

No, not crazy people, but crazy system.
    We just booked a ticket with Nature Air over the phone, paid with a debit card linked to a dollar account with Banco Nacional, and got the “loco fare” with no requirement of showing a cedula. Had the ticket been paid in colones, it would have been necessary to show a cedula when boarding.
    Go figure! ❓

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.