Satellite TV in the rain

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Satellite TV in the rain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    editer

Here’s a quick question. I was watching Bob Woodward on Larry King and we suddenly had a downpour. I lost my satellite signal. So the question: Are there long periods of satellite blackout during Costa Rica’s rainy season? I know there isn’t much that can be done about it. I’m just curious.

editer

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have been looking into satellite internet and don’t know if this applies to TV also but it’s my understanding that the smaller 1.2M dishes suffer in the rain, the 2.4M dish rarely goes down in the rain.

In trying to get more detailed information about a particular satellite internet system, the owner has ignored my last three email requests for more information so I am not too excited about sending him my money.

Bloody amazing really when he’s asking US$5,999 for the system and he can’t answer my really simple questions.

Scott Oliver
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

cindyc

Hi,

We can usually bet on losing our satellite connection when it rains; it usually doesn’t last very long. It’s just a pain restarting it.

CC

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We had a 1.2 meter dish and DirecTV (Latin America). Any significant rain blocked our signal. We then changed to a 2.4 meter dish provided by Dr. Dish and which receives the DishNetwork signal intended for U.S. audiences. We still experienced outages during periods of heavy rain.

Just yesterday, we upgraded to Dr. Dish’s 3.0 meter dish which he says will solve many, but not all, of those outage problems. Of course, it hasn’t rained since . . .

perrobravo

If you dont mind me asking, how much would did it cost to set up the 3.0 meter dish and the hardware to get the dish network? Also, I saw a previous post of yours that stated you get various Fox channles from the US. Any from Florida? I’m hoping to still see the Bucs games (yes, even though they’re 0-3) Also, do you get HDTV programing? Thanks.

Edited on Oct 03, 2006 11:14

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The 3.0 meter dish and one tuner cost about $3,300. Since DishNetwork does not offer its services here in Costa Rica, you take their signal, from their satellite aimed at U.S. customers, at no cost.

I get a slew of Fox channels, but I’m afraid I haven’t paid much attention to their various origins. Not being a fan of Florida teams, I’ve not taken any special notice.

DishNetwork’s HDTV programming is available here. The catch is that the tuners are not available on the resale market, as are regular tuners, so in order to get HD you must become a DishNetwork subscriber . . and pay.

The best source of information on all this is Don Paul (aka, Dr. Dish) at stardish1@yahoo.com. I get a ten colon commission for each referral, so tell him I sent you.

harvcarp

Hey David:

With all the recommendations and referrals for Dr. Dish, you should demand an increase in commissions to at least 20 Colones!!

Pura Vida
    Harvey

perrobravo

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

debbiesurfs

Is anybdoy here using Dr. Dish for satellite internet? Or just TV or is it both?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Dr. Dish’s satellite TV and Internet access systems are entirely separate. We have the TV system and lust after the Internet one.

John H.

Scott:

I wondering if you are refering to “Dr. Dish” ($5,999 number was the clue). I have talked to him several times as he is the vendor who installed a 2.4 dish in the condo unit where we bought (Jaco).

I had inquired as to how he planned to distribute the satellite broadband within the condo development. I needed to know due to security and reliability issues associated with wireless networks. I thought it was a reasonable request and something he would immediately know because he is the ‘purveyor’ of the entire system (not just the dish). He explained that he doesn’t do that part (??) and would check with an expert. I’m still waiting and have growing concerns. Issues like ‘service after the sale’ certainly come to mind among others. Hopefully, he will restore my trust with a response to my questions soon!

John

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes I was…

In fairness to him, he has been recommended to me by many people all of whom tell me he is a “one man band” and has more business than he can handle. That’s great for him and I wish him all the best.

However, at the end of the day, like you, ‘service’ is crucially important to me and although he replied to my first email, he has chosen not to reply to FOUR of my follow up emails all of which were asking the same question on Mon 10/2/2006 10:33 AM, Tue 9/26/2006 6:02 PM, Thu 9/21/2006 9:21 PM and Tue 9/19/2006 5:08 PM

Since he has chosen not to reply to me, I have been forced to choose not to do business with him.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Three meter dish update: It is far more effective in the rain than the 2.4 meter dish was. Still, if it’s a real downpour, we lose the signal.

DishNetwork recently has been fooling with “things” (a non-technical term). The result is that we and others have lost our access to the system from time to time, and an adjustment to our local hardware has been required. In a couple of instances, new access cards were required. At other times, one had to re-code the tuner.

Scott is correct that Don Paul (Dr. Dish) is pretty much a one-man band, and I know he scampers around furiously sometimes. Nevertheless, his service during these periods when DishNetwork has been throwing sand in the gears has been pretty good. As soon as we have learned of a problem (and sometimes before we realized we had a problem) he has been on the way with a fix. That may have involved a new access card, new codes to key into the tuner, or an exchange of tuners altogether. Right now, we have a new DishNetwork tuner with a new access card and also a loaner CoolSat tuner which we can re-code upon his instructions.

Dr. Dish’s operation, like those of many mortals, isn’t perfect, but it’s a lot better than the competition.

He has also recently told me that it is possible for him to set up an account for us in the United States for either the regular DishNetwork signal or their high definition service. If we are willing to pay U.S. prices, we will be enrolled as known DishNetwork customers and will not have to face the problems we’ve had when DishNetwork fools with the system settings. We’re thinking . . .

apexit

Dave
    Dont forget you can get up to 6 receivers in one location. Where thaose receivers wind up…. So the bill gets devided by 6. We did the same with Direct TV. I am more interested in satellite internet.
    Stan

John H.

..Careful…its risky to rely on a ‘one mand band’. I have talked with Dr. D. as well as e-mailed him with some rainfall and satellite-related questions. He answered one e-mail and I never heard from him regarding my follow-up questions. he’s probably very busy doing new intalls…but what about the good ‘ol ‘service after the sale’ ?

My thought is that is satellite internet is you only option then you need to schmooze Dr. Dish!

JH

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.