Schools in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Schools in Costa Rica

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Marcko

Hola,
    Our family is seriously contemplating a move to CR in the next few years. At the time of the move our twins, a boy and a girl, will be 8 years old. Thus school is a big consideration.
    I have seen the websites for the private schools, but it is hard to get a genuine sense of the reality of a place without actually being there. Particularly a school.
    I have been able to discover even less about the public and parochial schools of CR.
    If anyone has any personal experiences they would like to share about the education of young children in CR, I would love to hear about it.
    As it is our intention for the move to be permanent, we also want to avoid, to the greatest extent possible, anything which would create in our kids minds the notion that we are in any way superior to the Tico/Tica population which is willing to share their country with us.
    Thanks.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Many here, make the point when they say [b][i]’look at the schools first'[/i][/b] when choosing where to live, but it needs to be more than a cursory look regarding how far it is from your chosen location …
    [b]Do not rush[/b] into a decision to pack everything up, but visit for an extended time and [i]really check out schools[/i] as you have no idea on what schools can be like here.
    Of course, some areas have better schools than others.
    Regarding your statement [i]”…the notion that we are in any way superior to the Tico/Tica population” [/i] there are many schools you would not want your children to attend, but others simply do not have a choice.
    And, believe me, many [i]Ticos[/i] decide to send their children to private schools.

maravilla

and private schools aren’t cheap here either!

are your children bi-lingual? my neighbor put her 11 year old into a public school here and the hardest obstacle was the language barrier — she caught on to spanish pretty quickly but it was still a huge hassle.

camby

[quote=”maravilla”]and private schools aren’t cheap here either!

are your children bi-lingual? my neighbor put her 11 year old into a public school here and the hardest obstacle was the language barrier — she caught on to spanish pretty quickly but it was still a huge hassle.[/quote]

for Gringos, are there any “american schools” like in other nations? Maybe around US/UK/Canadian Embassy,etc?

costaricafinca
    Participant

There are many ‘American’ and other private schools around the country.
    Scott has a ‘list’ but I can’t find it … but am sure he will post it, again.

camby

[quote=”costaricafinca”]There are many ‘American’ and other private schools around the country.
    Scott has a ‘list’ but I can’t find it … but am sure he will post it, again.[/quote]

wondering if that could be an option, at least when kids first get there vs quick immersion….
    For me, would want to learn and was never good in a classsroom trying to learn Espanol…..

jadmami

I am also quite interest in this topic, we are actually planning to go there this summer and check out some places. We have a 2 1/2 year old boy and need to know our options as well. 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

We have a good list of schools in the Central Valley area at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1072.cfm ]

There are many more articles which you can find by using our article search engine at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/programs/search.cfm ]

Scott

Dream home

[quote=”jadmami”]I am also quite interest in this topic, we are actually planning to go there this summer and check out some places. We have a 2 1/2 year old boy and need to know our options as well. :D[/quote]

I have 8 years and 3 years boys. we planing move to costa rica next year. I was think hire a teacher home school them the first year. I would like to know any one home school their children?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Be warned …

Home schooling by the parents of the children is NOT legal in Costa Rica…

Legally speaking I do not know if hiring a teacher to teach your children in your home is different.

I would encourage you to speak to a lawyer.

Scott

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.