Seasonal Allergies in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Seasonal Allergies in Costa Rica

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Do the many plants and flowers in Costa Rica cause people with allergies to have hay fever and if so what time of year is more pronounced?

LVLazarus

This is a difficult question to answer. Hay fever is an older generic term; non-specific. People can suffer from allergies anywhere in the world to a multitude of triggers. Tropical areas tend to show more problems with those sensitive to molds which are possible year round, but more so during the wet season. Some people feel moving to different areas will relieve their allergies. The only way you can know how you will do is to live in any given location for 6 months up to 2 years. Yes, believe it or not, a person can be fine initially and develop a sensitivity to something over a 1-2 year period. Everyone is different. Most areas where allergies are a problem will have an immunologist (Asthma/Allergy) who can test for regional allergies/sensitivities. I am not familiar with any in Costa Rica, but that is who you would go to for testing. Most problems I have seen have to do with insect bites or molds. Most allergies appear to be “treated” by native homeopathics or the allergy medicines most of us are familiar with. BTW, I have also found that allergy meds are just as expensive in CR as the US…even though most are made in Mexico. My husband suffers from “hay fever”, but has had no problem in CR. (specifically, Perez Zeledon) Again, that is not so with everyone.

Thanks ever so much for your reply. I am planning to visit CR for 2 weeks next May, and for me that will be enough time to determine if I will react to anything. I was in the US this Apr for 5 days, and became severely affected by pear tree blossoms in Cincinnati and the pine trees in Florida. The purpose of my initial email was to find out from anyone who lives in CR if there were any particular plants or trees that are commonly known to affect allergy sufferers as CR is a tropical place and from my past experiences for eg Jamaica where certain parishes have lots of citrus, the orange blossom tends to affect allergy sufferers. Luckily for me at the moment I live in the Middle East and I am allergy free in that respect but suffer from a whole host of food intolerances which is a completley separate issue.

LVLazarus

As I’m sure you will, I would make sure to bring the allergy medication that works best for you… enough to cover the trip. You will find there is an abundance of flora, fauna, and foods that could potentially trigger sensitivities. Too many species of the 1st two to name. If you are prepared with antihistamine and benedryl (in case needed) you can keep your allergies at bay and your trip more enjoyable. My problem is insect bites… I have a large reaction in CR though I don’t have the problem in some other locales. However, I’m gradually becoming desensitized; my reactions are becoming less severe with time. The exposure is inevitable and I treat the symptoms accordingly. In time my immune system may no longer react adversely which will allow me to discontinue or merely take medication as needed. Depends on individual immune system. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the country as much as I do.

costaricafinca
    Participant

My husband had allergies to many plants back in Canada, but here nothing irritates him, except maybe me!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.