sending packages to costa rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum sending packages to costa rica

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    scara

from N.Y.C. U.S.A. What’s the cheapest way to send 20 to 50 lb packages to costa rica..i need the company name and , if any of you have done it, your experiences with that company and their costs..
    much thanks..i’ll be joining you all in january had enough of the u.s
    MY WIFE AND I ARE LOOKING FOWARD TO MEETING REAL HUMAN BEINGS..
    FRANK

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The answer depends, at least in part, on just how many packages you have to send. If you’re sending a number of packages in one shipment, somebody like Charles Zeller, who does freight consolidation, may be your best bet.

On the other hand, if this is a one-time/one package shipment, it may be easiest to establish an account with one of the freight forwarders, ship the package to Miami, and let them bring it down. The same would apply if you’ll be sending a single package occasionally.

Bear in mind that everyone gets a single $500US exemption from Costa Rican customs duty once every six months. If you use a freight forwarder, they can take care of the details, but you have to inform them in advance.

countdown

Are there any known freight forwarders to investigate? The only one I’ve seen mentioned was CargaTica, in a thread on another forum. Does anyone have personal experience or suggestions using them or others?

When sending a few boxes of “essentials” for life in the months (or years if you’re building) before the container can be shipped, a freight forwarder at 15-20 cents a pound in the weekly container sounds better than DHL, FedEx, etc.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We have used Mail Boxes, Etc. in the past and currently use Aerocasillas whom we’re quite satisfied with. There’s also JetBox.

scara

first of all thank all of you who dropped a line and tried to help.
    I have seen bad reccomendations about mailbox, etc…they say they are good for other countries but not C.R. when i search jetbox i come up with everything from baseball cards to jet plane engines so i’m gonna need more info on that one…and aerocasillas has not returned e mails although i’m stil working on them…
    once again thanks for your assistance
    FRANK

scara

thanks, 20 cents a lb ,that would be great! now if i can only get them to answer their phone…maybe they don’t work on saturdays. i’ll try monday

thanks again

Edited on Nov 08, 2008 11:01

countdown

Scara – please post what you discover on current freight forwarding. I’ve seen a post on another board from someone who apparently uses freight forwarding regularly, with CargaTica for speed and Transportes a Costa Rica for slower but cheaper shipments. I haven’t found references to the second.

scara

so far i can’t even get in touch with cargatica they don’t answer their miami phone..i will look up transportes a costa rica to see if some feels like working there..
    thanks countdown, speaking of which we are counting down the days till we relocate to c.r.

scara

still can’t find anybody at 15 -20 cents a lb…where can i find these people?

scara

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.