Setting up Costa Rica bank account

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Setting up Costa Rica bank account

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    teksmith

Just thought I’d post my experiences with setting up a bank account in CR. We just purchased a condo in Excazu and needed to set up an account to pay bills and other expenses. My lawyer reommended the Bank of San Jose but they wouldn’t accept the doumentation I had from up north or the corporatation and deed paperwork from my lawyer. they need the paperwork from my bank to be original and addressed to them. They also needed two banking references not just one. Also they needed a utility bill and some other document that we don’t have yet as the property is not yet registered.

Scotia Bank had similar requirements and we had just about given up when we tried Banco Nationial. After some back and forth they finally agreed to open it in the name of our corporation, accept the check from our lawyer and issue debits cards to my wife and myself.

I’d suggest talking to a representative at the bank you are planning on using to insure that you have the proper documentation to set up the account. There is considerable variation between the various bank as to what they require and if you do not speak spanish it helps to have a translator with you as you cannot count on finding an english speaking representative. Having a driver/translator really sped up all of the things that we wanted to accomplish on this trip.

wmaes47

When your Debit Cards are issued, have them set for International use if you plan traveling back to your home country.

They do have an in country use card.

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

Thanks, i am planning on moving to Costa Rica next yera, which is when a retire from the Army. What type of document do i will need to open an account with them. I will try to become resident next year when a go there in Feb to open my account.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.