Speeding Fines

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Speeding Fines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

And The Gold Medal Prize For The Biggest Speeding Fine Goes To… Katia Ferreto with US$7,300 in speeding tickets!

In THREE weeks!

Following my article about Costa Rica’s Ministry of Simply Silly Speeding Fines it was interesting to see today’s news where one unfortunate 22 year old woman from Cartago, Katia Ferreto who is a “model” – who says she sleeps during the day and goes to work at 11pm at night – has managed to accumulate 12 speeding tickets already. She only discovered this when she tried to sell her car and the buyer checked the record of the car to discover the 12 speeding tickets with fines totalling c3.7 million colones which at today’s exchange rate is US$7,300.

Ms. Ferreto states: “Now I can’t sell the car… I don’t have the money to pay the fine which is more than what my car is worth!”

Can anyone tell me how much speeding tickets are in the U.S.?

aguirrewar

don’t buy a car in CR.

[u]Ayer se publicó en este diario la primera lista de infractores, captados entre el 8 y el 20 de setiembre. Aparecieron más de 15.000 números de placas multadas.[/u]

Between the 8 and 20 of Sept, more than 15,000 speeding tickets were issued.

Money, Money, Money, Money

and the cheapest fine is $600.00

here in the USA, Carl Busch the NASCAR driver was clocked doing 150 miles per hour in a 60 mile per hour road.

His FINE??

$1,000
    suspended license for a month
    100 hour of community service

Andrew
    Keymaster

Don’t buy a car in Costa Rica because you might get fined “if” you are caught speeding!
    Don’t buy real estate or you’ll have to pay property taxes!
    Don’t earn any money or you might have to pay income taxes!
    Don’t go out at night because you might get into trouble!
    Don’t swim in the sea because there are dangerous riptides at some beaches!
    Don’t surf because a shark might attack you!
    Don’t go hiking alone around volcanoes or you might get bitten by a terciopelo!
    Don’t use a credit card or someone might steal your data!
    Don’t fall in love or someone might just break your heart!

PS. I’d love to see the state of his car after Carl Busch drives at 150mph on Costa Rica’s roads! Ha!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]I’d love to see the state of his car after Carl Busch drives at 150mph on Costa Rica’s roads! Ha![/quote]

Actually, I think I may have encountered him twice. At least it was somebody driving a very red Ferrari on the autopista near the MultiPlaza, although he passed me going so fast it was impossible to see who was driving.

maravilla

oh, i am crying so hard for the poor girl with $7000 worth of speeding tickets. hey! how about this idea? DON’T SPEED!! sheesh. tax evasion is a national sport here. so how else is the gommunt supposed to raise money? just like those yellow zones which will get you a $350 parking ticket. i know, i got one for the 60 seconds it was going to take me to run into the vet’s office and buy a bag of dog food. here’s a tip — don’t park there. i, for one, will never do that again.

Andrew
    Keymaster

But what – pray tell – does she model exactly?

maravilla

good question, scott. when do modeling jobs start in the middle of the night.

aguirrewar

can you handle the truth??

prostitution is legal in CR

get over it and don’t bring you HIGH morals into this discusion, what happens in any ones bedroom is their own private business

ever heard of EL REY???

and when you close the door on your way OUT, take your King James bible with you

Holland, France, Germany and many other countries have an open mind on the sex trade. China, Mexico, Brazil have the opposite. Where would you rather live??

the right a woman has over her body, either right or wrong is 100% her right, not mine, your’s or the government

submitted with the upmost RESPECT for your consideration

but I know you will come with PLAN “B”

bogino
    Participant

So not a good idea to bring my Audi R8 to Costa Rica with me I guess….

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”aguirrewar”][b]ever heard of EL REY???[/b][/quote]

Elvis Presley?

rosiemaji

It sounds like this unfortunate young woman screwed herself out of a car. She won’t be able to sell it without paying the fines and she won’t be able to re-register it at the end of the year. I can’t imagine what her options are at this point. Maybe drive the car until the end of the year and then sell it real cheap to someone who lives way out in the countryside where the traffic police never go and who will never drive it to town. They can use it to drive back and forth to relative’s houses. This is what Ticos do (I am told) when they get rediculously high traffic tickets (sometimes for really stupid stuff like having solar film on a back window) and they can’t afford the fine.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”aguirrewar”]can you handle the truth??

prostitution is legal in CR

get over it and don’t bring you HIGH morals into this discusion, what happens in any ones bedroom is their own private business

ever heard of EL REY???

and when you close the door on your way OUT, take your King James bible with you

Holland, France, Germany and many other countries have an open mind on the sex trade. China, Mexico, Brazil have the opposite. Where would you rather live??

the right a woman has over her body, either right or wrong is 100% her right, not mine, your’s or the government

submitted with the upmost RESPECT for your consideration

but I know you will come with PLAN “B”[/quote]

I’m not sure who exactly you are replying to but in reading the previous posts, I see NOTHING that would provoke a response like yours????

“Can you handle the truth”?
    “Get over” what?
    “High morals”?

I agree entirely that a woman has the right to do whatever sh wishes with her body…

Please advise!

marthausztan

[quote=”bogino”][quote=”aguirrewar”][b]ever heard of EL REY???[/b][/quote]

Elvis Presley?[/quote]
    Its is Del Rey, a hotel in San Jose that is known for american men to stay there and have the services of prostitutes

guru

In North Carolina as in most US states the law says “up to $XXX” plus court costs. Typical speeding fines are $100 to $250 depending on how fast and where. In NC the construction zone fine is the highest at $250. Court costs can add $50 to $75. The last ticket I had was $125 including a low processing (court) fee of $25 for paying the fine in advance. Courts can also levi higher fines in aggravated cases and for DUI including revocation of driver’s licenses and jail time.

Other costs can include increases in your insurance. This can be a LOT more than the fine.

In total it is NOTHING compared to the new rates in Costa Rica. I suspect that Tico’s will do what is mentioned above and junk or abandon vehicles they cannot sell legally. BUT tourists (IE “rich” gringos) will pay and pay and pay. . .

So THAT is the big question. What will they do when you get to the aeropuerto or return your rental car and their computer prints out a notice that you have a $600 fine? I rarely have this much cash on me at the end of a trip. Pay the fines by credit card before you leave? Personal cheque?

FeloF

When certain jurisdictions in California started their camera surveillance program, they managed to get record numbers of infractions the first year. There were legal challenges, of course, but there was one that stood out. Someone figured out that the private contractor hired to install and operate the camera surveillance system was getting paid on a commission-per-fine basis. In other words, they had a direct conflict of interest in creating false positives. The courts ruled they could not be paid that way, so the contract had to be changed to avoid corruption or the appearance thereof.

During the initial stages of this great experiment, an astute legal observer noticed a loophole: In California, a person being cited by a human officer signs a piece of paper promising to appear in court under penalty of law. When you get a letter in the mail telling you to show up in court, there is nothing to legally bind a person to appear. All you had to do was throw the letter in the recycling bin (this is California, after all) and move on.

That’s also been changed. Now if you get the letter, you have to try and fight it like any other ticket.

Just in case you might think the Ministry of Silly Traffic Fines could only exist in this slice of Paradise.

The takeaway lesson: activists are needed to FOLLOW THE MONEY and challenge the law wherever it presents a weakness. There is at least one lawsuit being heard by Sala IV based on the unconstitutionality of making the vehicle’s owner responsible for a traffic violation committed by a third party. This nuance is wreaking havoc for car rental companies and other business sectors that hire drivers, such as shuttle services and transportation companies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.