Synthetic thatch roof

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Synthetic thatch roof

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

We are building this year, in Manuel Antonio, and we are considering our roof structure.
    Any thoughts or experience with synthetic thatch?
    I’ve read up on it on various manufacturers sights and would like to know if there is any Costa Rican experience using it.
    My biggest concerns are: If there is still a lot of mess falling from insects and lizards etc. (Manufacturers say not so much) Also, how steep the pitch needs to be, and of course cost. I hear it is expensive.
    On the other hand, I am hoping that the because it seems as if the roof structure itself might need to be less substantial, i.e. wooden beams supporting less weight then metal beams supporting a heavier metal or tile roof.
    It also sounds like the thatch roof will be quieter when it rains.
    Any thoughts will be great.
    Muchas.
    Mark.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Mark, I don’t know a thing about thatch roofs, synthetic or otherwise, but I do know a little about clay tile and metal roofs.

A clay tile roof will be very heavy and very expensive. Not only are the tiles themselves expensive but their weight will dictate a much more substantial roof structure to bear the weight, so that’s an added expense, too.

There are excellent metal roofing materials available here. They’re much, much lighter than any tile material and so will require a less substantial roof structure. You can install fiberglass insulation which will both deaden the noise from the rain and also insulate the roof from solar heat gain.

My understanding is that the metal “tile-looking” roofing is difficult to make totally raintight, so were it mine to do, I’d use corrugated sheets. If you double overlap them, seal the seams with a bead or two of silicone, and point the seams away from the prevailing winds, you should have a totally watertight roof at a reasonable cost. You can also go the extra mile and have the fereteria order better quality roofing screws which have a much longer-lived neoprene washer under their heads.

enduro

Mark

I grew up in England where thatch roofs are commonplace in many locations.

Firstly, having removed one to install a tile roof, I can tell you that infestation was an issue, we had all sorts of bugs crawling on us and this was in England!!! I can’t imagine what a thatch roof would hold in Costa Rica, even a synthetic one!!!

Secondly, the roof structure to support the thatch was extensively twice what we needed for the slate tile we installed afterwards. I’m not sure if synthetic thatch is THAT much lighter. The thickness of the thatch was almost 20 inches when we took it off and it had been on for well over 50 years!!!

I would look at what David suggests, use metal with insulation, just make sure that you put a mesh on the ends of the runs of insulation to keep the critters out. It will be cheaper and you won’t hear a thing.

Brian

Edited on Aug 31, 2009 23:57

lceide

There is a company…Palmex thats sells “Durathatch” that has a rep in Costa Rica. Website is very informative. 96 sq feet in the U.S. was $516 (plus shipping)No idea what the cost is there…
    http://www.palmex-international.com

Thanks all, I’m still hoping to get any info from someone who has, or knows someone who has personal experience with using synthetic thatch here in CR, especially in the Pacific coast.
    Anyone?
    Thanks.

Diamond

Hi, there is a very nice young man in Ojachal who sells and installs synthetic thatch roofs. If you mean the kind of roof you would put on top of a palapa, usually with palm fronds, are you talking about using something synthetic, plastic materials? If you are, then he is the guy to see. There is a restuarant called Exotica in Ojachal that converted to this roof, and they love it. No more problems with bugs, or things falling from it. They are very pleased with it. The young man who sells this product is right next store to Exotica.
    Best wishes Celeste

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.