Tao Watts please elaborate on your solution.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Tao Watts please elaborate on your solution.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    diego

What do you mean the best way to save the rainforest is to buy it? Of course if it were all benevolent buyers that is one thing. But the majority of developers are “lets rake in as much as we can” types. And you will at some point be dealing with developers. So find some that understand how to develop in harmony, because if you do not….. (fiill in the blank)

Tao, get a grip. My idea is for you to put together investment pool to buy large properties there, then put deed restrictions limiting densities and then resell them – maybe at a loss and maybe not. Then use the capital to do it again. Why don’t you put a group of investors together to do that and donate your comiss to boot? Majority of individuals are either too selfish or do not have the financial resources, that why you have to go to corporations for tax deductible donations… Go for it Tao.

Using clever ideas to finance property purchase that will reduce density, well, that’s saving the rainforests.

Others will buy the rainforest to exploit it!

Also Tao, what do you suggest we do to save the rainforest. Come buy it from you so you can make a commission selling it. Or do you only sell to environmentalists?

I hope so or I will consider you article hype – of the worst kind.

You gave the ol “hope” thing at the end of your article.

What I think you owe Scott’s readers because you wrote that “lets hope so” article is some critical thinking on your part about what we readers can do to help- on our part and what you can do to help – on your part, besides what appears to be a disguised sales pitch (I hope not).

How about some concrete step by step solutions?

If not please do not insult us with disguised sales hype. In the age of green you sound more like someone with an idealistic vision waiting to be shot down as you provide the amo to shoot it with (selling the rainforest).

This is a reality check courtesy of Don “no room for hope” Diego.

I look forward to your reply and if you are really as well intentioned as your article leads one to believe, I hope you are not as equally naïve.

Look it Tao, I don’t know you and you may be the sweetest nicest person in the world, BUT when I smell the potential to turn a profit…. At the risk of the rainforest – I kind turn into a cross between a pit bull and a sidewinder. So let’s not dally. Lets here some real solutions, not some “come buy from me” solution. What sayeth you Tao????

Andrew
    Keymaster

Methinks you could have used less toxic terms in your posting ‘diego’ – this is a Discussion Forum and not a place where we deliberately attack each other although that occasionally does occur.

I would not dare to speak for Tao but can assure you that she does indeed have the area’s best interests at heart when she writes of these things and I can also assure you that not only does she only want to work with “benevolent buyers,” if you were a big developer that only wanted to “rake in as much” as you could, she would not even return your email.

Lastly, like most professional real estate people she fully expects and indeed deserves a sales commission if she helps someone find the perfect property for them….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

diego

That was not meant to an attack.

Who is going to “stand up” for the Osa? Who is looking out for it?

The Osa is the best of the best. It needs to be protected and not with just rhetoric.

I think I presented a great idea regarding deed restrictions. But that went overlooked because of my passion for the Osa and what was perceived as an attack.

What are her ideas and what are her previous actions that demonstrate her intentions. Some of us are doers and some are talkers. I am just trying to figure out if someone who represents property for sale in the most biologically sensitive place in the world has good intentions and more importantly implements those intentions.

Tao are you for the proposed international airport in that region?

If you are there to protect the Osa, lets here how and what you have done. If you are a real estate agent seeking profit – that’s fine, I have no problem with that. But a real estate agent using the guise of an environmentalist to me is abhorrent. I am NOT saying that she is doing so, nor implying such. I am just trying to find out which side of the Eco pie is she on?

It is important to ask these questions.
    I for one, plan on hearing that Tao is fully able to stand up and show that she is fighting the good fight, I also think that it is very useful to pose the questions that Diego has. If nothing else, it gets the discussion going. We all know that this could lead to all sorts of opinions on what is best to do , or not to do, in the Osa. Some of what Diego proposes as a solution seems like a very good idea.
    I will surely keep an eye on this one…..

reallyreally

I first read this article in the Tico Times in March 07’and the message I got from it was clear, that somehow we are ALL responsible for maintaining the integrity of the Osa, not just the people who live there, but also developers, real estate agents, buyers, owners, concerned citizens and the government. I really don’t believe that Watt’s motives can be called into question, I can’t imagine any dirty developers would ever even want to speak with her after writing that article, much less buy a property from her. Whats left are people who are ecologically minded that will be contacting her instead.

I fully appreciated the fact that the article called further awareness to this ecological predicament. I also appreciate the concept of coming up with a solution rather simply talking about the problem. One solution is to find ecologically minded people to purchase rain forest properties and to guard them for future generations (and for this Tao should be commended rather than criticized for her work) Second, placing deed restrictions on these properties would be a clear way of ensuring that these properties are protected from less environmentally sympathetic inheritors or future purchasers (good point Diego). Third, starting non-profit organizations that will invest in both guarding primary forest and re-foresting Costa Rican land, with these first two solutions in mind. It would be great to hear more ideas and insights on positive ways to keep the Osa and Costa Rica beautiful. Also to hear about other people’s experiences either starting, attempting to start or even thinking about starting a similar non-profit in Costa Rica.

Who is going to “stand up” for the Osa? How about we all do!

If we can maneuver this forum into being productively focused on finding solutions to this ever growing problem, we may just find some!

Edited on May 17, 2007 13:37

diego

Amen

taoaqui

Oops…try this again (third try) One of the ways I recommend to my clients is to set aside ANY forested area on their property in an environmental easment set up by Cederena.org (see their website for detailed explanation). Even if you are not an Angel Investor, you can protect rainforest whether it is in a reserve or refuge or other government program, “unto perpetuity”, which means, that regardless of how many times it changes hands, that area will be protected for generations to come.
    I agree with Diego as well, that it would be a good idea to set up investment pools to buy large properties and put restrictions (such as the Environmental Easements) on them. I am in the process of putting some proposals together for REITs and RPIs to firms who look for “green” investments for their more conscious investors.
    That’s all for now…but I will be working on some articles that address these issues and others…
    peace,
    tao

taoaqui

I apologize for the abbreviated reply, but I lost the long detailed response that I wrote, so have decided to write offline and post later as a post or as an article. I appreciate your feedback, and agree that there are issues that demand more than environmental platitudes…real solutions…and I do have some! By the way…it is not “the best way to save the rainforest is to buy it…although that is the first step…it is ‘to own it'” Because only through private entitlement (whether through a corporation or proper name)can certain steps be taken to preserve and protect land. Government programs are at the mercy of goverment agencies, and are short term solutions. Long term solutions must be initiated by individuals or groups in private ownership.
    tao

diego

I feel better after reading your reply. Thank you.

Also I am sure you gained some clients through referals….

Please help to take good care of everybody’s Osa.

taoaqui

correction: the link is http://www.cedarena.org
    tao

Andrew
    Keymaster

Tao has written a new article for us that addresses many of the issues raised in this thread which you can see at:

‘The Best Way To Save The Rainforest Is To Own It’

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Alvaro

I really liked Tao’s idea of the Green REIT or RPI’s and would be very interested to know more about this. With the increasing problems of Global Warming, the environment is going to play a major role in everything that humans do so I believe that soon there will be lots of Green Investors in the market.

Tao, another option is to purchase large tracts of land to sell oxygen to Fortune 500 companies which would not only result in a hefty yearly income for the investors but would also preserve the rainforest forever. Imagine purchasing thousands of hectares in the Amazon for this purpose!!! I know of a serious group of Costa Rican investors that are looking to purchase approximately 20,000 hectares in the Talmanca Region for this purpose.

diego

Tao,

Do you support the idea of a new international airport on the Osa??

I consider this a very telling question and if you do not think a simple yes or no will suffice, then please elaborate on you ansewer.

Thank you for your good intentions and any and all work you have done to help stand up for the Osa.

Andrew
    Keymaster

If you are interested, here’s the link for the article that I wrote about the “new international airport.”

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

taoaqui

Hola
    This is a very interesting question , and I tried to avoid it. I have strong feelings about it, and probably not in accord with the most popular ideas. I am nNOT in favor of the new airport, if and when it does ever appear. I believe that strong financial forces from the Dominical and Southern Pacific coasts, and Golfito have more interest in this project happening than ANYONE I know in Osa. I will not say that it will be bad for Osa, and I would certainly not say it would be good, either. I think alot of people are trying to bank on it, and are selling projects based on the “upcoming International airport” and while I would not say it will never happen, but I do not see a need for it, and I do not believe that it will happen anytime soon.
    I am not impressed with the growth of Liberia and that area since the inception of the International aiprort there, and I do not hope to see huge charter planes emptying themselves upon the Osa. I think it will change the focus of development and I do not look forward to those changes as they will affect us here in Osa. I am not eager to see or hear our skies filled with planes taking off and landing, as I am not eager to see boats filling up the Golfo Dulce. What can I say? I do not support it. I do not support rampant growth in an area where I believe we should be conserving and protecting. I do not support huge hotel and marina projects, or significantly increased traffic in an area that I do not believe can support it without harming nature or the social structure of the community.

I would be concerned about issues such as noise pollution, about exhaust fumes, about fuel consumption and transportation and storage of petroluem products, and about the social impact.
    I am also concerned, as others have already pointed out, about soil erosion from the rampant development of the coastal range, (and furthermore inside the peninsula, when and if this kind of development comes this way).

I have been studying impact studies lately in Spanish, which is no great joy or pleasure, but alarming to see what is discreetly or blatantly left out, avoided, or fabricated, downplaying the kinds of affects that huge projects such as these, airports, marinas, even road constructions, have on the environment and the people. There are step by step processes that are in play, but not beyond fighting, and I do not believe that the airport is a “done deal”. And if I thought that it were, I would probably be mouthing off more about it, as I have been about the possibility of marina projects and large hotel/housing complexes.
    peace,
    tao

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.