The Ladrones made a new year visit

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The Ladrones made a new year visit

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    postalx

Here here! We may not agree on some things, but are totally in accord about TV. When we travel to CR, the LAST item on the menu is the infernal boob-tube! I love my books. We always bring some with us, and pass them on to expat locals; always well received. Regardless of the subject matter in a book, the author spends a lot of time deep in thought than most (but not all, obviously) TV writers. They pander to the lowest common denominator, and the result is generally crap.

2bncr

That’s exactly right about the modus operandi Marvy. If they had the timming down like that, then it most likley was an inside job.

Edited on Jan 02, 2009 18:24

2bncr

Right again Marvy. You got any single sisters?

maravilla

They just saw three guys down by my neighbors’ house on the other side of the hill. When they saw the guard they bolted and ran down the hill into the jungle. We’re thinking now that the workers from the chicken farm are the likely suspects. The cops came out again and made a report. We’ve already investigated the finca owner across the road from us, and he has no employees, nor does he have anyone living on his property. The chicken farmer has a cluster of little shacks where her illegal workers live. This is getting to be unnerving. If we could get the cops to go to those shacks and see if any of the goods are there, we could rule them out or in. But the cops can’t do a damn thing as long as the cases are in the jurisdiction of the OIJ. My first question was why the guard didn’t shoot them in the leg, or at least fire a warning shot. Sheesh. We’re under siege!

maravilla

I got one single sister, but trust me, she’s a bit of an odd, old bird, if I do say so myself. And she voted for McCain!

2bncr

Now, now now, getting a little carried away aren’t we?

2bncr

Faggitit. But thanks anyways. How could anyone vote for Bush JR?

sprite

Shooting people who are simply running is a good way to start riots.

What if they were wearing expensive running suits? Should the cops shoot then? If they are simply wearing T-shirts and jeans and happen to be a bit darker in complexion than you and I or other Ticos, should the cops shoot?

Looking for patterns is what people do. If you are going to base your actions on patterns which indicate that most crimes are commited by Nica farm workers, then you better be very sure about your patterns and your analysis. And if those actions involve fire arms, be even more sure that fire arms are justified.Do you really want to wound or kill someone for stealing a bunch of CD’s?

maravilla

The three guys were looking in the windows of the guest house of my neighbors who weren’t home at the time. They came up through the jungle to get to the house. There is only one road into our compound but a million ways to get there through the jungle. And it’s not just a bunch of CD’s we’re talking about here. The first guy that got robbed claims he lost over $20,000 worth of stuff including cash, Rolex watches, a 42 inch TV and a bunch of other stuff. They came through the jungle that time too and left the same way, carting the TV over hill and dale in a blinding rainstorm! The cops did fire shots when they came to investigate. If you don’t live in our hood you have no business being there. It’s not as through they were just walking by. Get it? They made a point to get to this house which is completely isolated. And yeah, I have no compunction about hurting people who invaded my house.

sprite

The guy had Rolex watches and cash and other small items totalling $20,000 laying around in his house? I am adding up all the stuff I currently have in my Miami home that could be hand carried away by several thieves and I don;t think it comes to more than three or four thousand dollars. A 42″ HD TV and a few computers is about all there is that three thieves could manage to carry off.I DO NOT KEEP TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF JEWELRY AND CASH laying around. Was the vicitm running a pawn shop business from his home or is he just wealthy and careless?
    I can’t help but wonder if having a home in a compound might be increasing the odds of being robbed. Do you know of anyone who lives in the countryside, away from towns, who has been robbed? I wonder what the ratio for robbery is for those who do NOT live in gated communities or in towns.

Edited on Jan 03, 2009 12:34

maravilla

He had four or five Rolexes. You do the math. And yes, he is wealthy, lives behind a 10 foot high iron wall and gate. They still got in. The stuff wasn’t “lying” around. It was hidden, but they found it. And yes, I do know someone who was robbed (two people in fact) who are NOT in a compound but just in the campo. The first person was robbed at gunpoint and his wife raped and brutally beaten. They stole all they could and then came back later to steal some more, and over the course of 10 different robberies, they managed to pretty much dismantle his entire house by taking the bars off the windows, stripping the copper wire, and taking portions of his metal roof. The last robbery when he wasn’t home rendered the house uninhabitable. The other person had his entire house cleaned out, right down to the windows. NOBODY saw anything in any of these robberies.

2bncr

was this the guy bt Jaco?

maravilla

Yeah, it was Henry and Robyn, lovely people by all accounts, who certainly didn’t deserve to be terrorized over and over again with the cops saying they had no clues and that there were no such perps as he described living in the area. I told him it had to be an inside job — who gets robbed 10 times, has their entire house dismantled, and everything stolen, and your wife raped and beaten, and they have no suspects??? I had nightmares for days after reading his account of what happened to them. It’s very traumatizing, to say the least. Certainly more for them than for me, but it gives you a fright to be sure. I just got an email from my oldest friend who has a country house an hour outside Paris. He was robbed not too long ago and they suspect that it’s the Arab gangs that make the rounds, and then go back with the loot. So there you go. There is no safe haven. And other friends of mine who have a house in the Dordogne have been robbed every year for three years. Go figure.

sprite

SOmebody should take a poll here. How many have been robbed and how many have NOT been robbed and attach a general description of the area in which they live.

maravilla

That’s a good idea, and we should also list ways in which we protect ourselves. Putting dowels on sliding glass doors is my biggest defense right now because obviously nothing else kept them from getting in. I am packing for my trip down, and I threw in some lamp timers that can be staggered so I will have lights going on and off when I am not there, any maybe even when I AM there. Next will come the hard-wired alarm system, an outdoor siren, and outdoor motion detectors. Also bars on the windows for the bathroom windows, laundry room, etc. which are at the back of the house. Althought they did try one of the bathroom windows and they couldn’t get it opened. And. . . I’m thinking of getting a taser. Guns are good, but I don’t want to have to shoot someone and then have blood all over which would gross me out!! LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.