The Ladrones made a new year visit

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The Ladrones made a new year visit

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    GringoTico

I disagree Sprite. Theft is endemic in Costa Rica, affecting both rich and poor alike, nationality notwithstanding. The only difference is the value of the particular items stolen. This is nothing new for Ticos, and they have their ways of coping. However, expats must be made to recognize the primacy of the issue in order to counter the prevailing “it won’t happen to me” or “he’s exaggerating” attitudes (like Maravilla and others had before they were hit, and like I had as well, years ago), and seriously commit to developing a strategic approach to mitigate the problem, both in economic and psychological terms.

What is more recent is the violence. There used to be extremely little (pre-Sandinista/Contras era). Now there is much more. How much, or how it compares to other places is up for debate, but any Tico will tell you to have a few thousand colones on hand at all times (and not much else) so you have something to surrender if accosted, and thus (hopefully) avoid a licking.

I don’t particularly believe there’s more violence in Costa Rica than elsewhere (although I do feel it’s getting worse), but in this respect I think Sprite is closer to the mark. I’m much more confident in my ability to avoid a violent confrontation in Costa Rica (particularly since it’s never happened), than I am about keeping my things from walking (which was a regular occurrence).

costaricafinca
    Participant

You may have posted this info before, on this forum, but could you give us an ‘idea’ on where your residence is located?

Marcia

In a residential area of San Jose, behind a security fence with patrolling guards and dogs. My son is a San Jose businessman and we think it may have been an “inside” job because the thieves wore suits and ties. There have been other incidents – a relative robbed, beaten and killed while walking in town in the daylight (nobody stopped to help him) and a friend who was on her morning run was knocked to the ground so thieves could steal her Walkman.

Edited on Jan 06, 2009 11:06

Edited on Jan 06, 2009 11:10

maravilla

to whom was this question directed? if it was me, i live about 6 clicks north of san ramon in a very rural area.

rwgrogg

The link I posted is not to a bad neighhood.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/atlantic-beach/crime/

Rmax says average price for 1700 sq ft 3br – $456,000 USD

http://www.atlanticbeach-realestate.com/average-home-sizes-and-prices.php?aid=hmmarshall&city=Atlantic%20Beach

Things sound better in Costa Rica.

Marcia

Is any respect shown to the elderly? I’m a 77 year-old woman. Will that make me a “target” to get mugged or robbed? Or will it be in my favor? Simply put, dressed simply without jewelry would I be safe walking the street in downtown San Jose? or driving an older conservative car to and from home?

2bncr

I believe yes. Althouh nothing, ANYWHERE, is certain. From the beginning of my Costa Rica experiemce, many moons ago, I remember the Locals saying to me “it’s dangerous in San Jose.” I think that you have the highest chance of crime happening to you the closer you get to downtown. Jaco, Manuel/Quepos and now Tamirindo are also warm spots. Also, do not drive out to apparently desserted beaches by yourself. Your car is a high profile.

Recently a guy went to the bank in Quepos, put all his surf boards and belongigs and almost 2 k in cash ih his truck, and drove down past Dominical to go surfing – by himself. He was on his way to move to another house, but just decided to go surfing since his boards were in his truck.

So he takes his truck loaded with all his possesion to a deserted beach. – Can you say “idiot”. Gun is stuck in his face. he’s on the ground, truck is emptied out.

Sometimes local robbers live in these deserted areas. And if they see someone take that turnoff to that deserted beach, BY THEM Selves – Well you know the results.

He was lucky they did not steal his truck.

Like everything in life, it’ds all about positioning. Where and when you position yourself. And how you position your thougts and body, after you have position yourself somewhere. Not to get too philosophical, but, you need to think about where and when you are going to where ever it is that you are going.

It was a common assumptin that going to a third world country meant an element of danger.

Now real estate salesmen want you to think that its just like back home. It’s not. Why, Its not that back home was more, or even less dangerous. Its that you knew the ropes back home. You knew where to be, and when to be.

So its inexperience and a false sense of security that’s dangerous. Anywhere in the world.

sprite

I just do NOT believe in luck…good or bad. Luck and randomness are simply terms we use to label what we don’t understand. Why do some get robbed and others do not? There ARE answers to that question. I do, however, believe in ignorance. I have had my Miami homes burglared twice over 26 years. I was ignorant of the probability of that happening and I failed to take stronger measures.

If a home in the Costa Rican country side can never be made relatively safe from burglary no matter what measures are taken, then I would reconsider Costa Rica as a place to live. So far, nobody has shown that to be the case. Each victim knows what he or she did incorrctly and hopefully will make changes in behavior or security for the house. Otherwise, it is a stupid idea to live in a place where your life and property are under constant threat. I think itis also a good idea to keep things in perspective and not exaggerate.

countdown

Nowhere is completely safe. Burglary was common in Costa Rica when I lived there 40 yr. ago. It is easier now with improved transportation for the burglars.

“If a home in the Costa Rican country side can never be made relatively safe from burglary no matter what measures are taken…”

The term “relatively safe” means it will be burglarized or at least attempted, but less frequently, as many here and many of my Tico and expat friends attest. Making it “relatively safe” depends upon where you’re located, who lives nearby, construction and preventative measures, etc. Most of my Tico friends rely on bars, concertina wire, and still normally leave someone at home when everyone else goes out.

Saying “no matter what measures are taken…” is hyperbole since without substantial resources it isn’t possible. An enclosed compound, electronic security measures, and trained guards and dogs still doesn’t prevent burglary, it just makes it a bigger challenge and target.

For us normal people we live (mostly) like Ticos, similar precautions, and take our chances.

sprite

If you are still living there, then it must be, for you, a tolerable situation still.

Marcia

In regards to you saying “An enclosed compound, electronic security measures, and trained guards and dogs still doesn’t prevent burglary, it just makes it a bigger challenge and target.” I agree. A criminal mind would think ‘what are they protecting, must be a lot of valuable stuff there.’ As I said in an earlier post, my son was burglarized and beaten along with his wife, their maid and two security guards. His four large dogs were drugged and the security fence and barbed wire didn’t stop the criminals. They even disarmed the security system.

A low profile seems to be the way to live as many have said. After reading this string I’ve decided to stay in the US and not move to Costa Rica as I had planned. I couldn’t live with the restraints of life style and the constant worry of being attacked. I live in a small community in Northern California and know that bad things can happen here too but so far I can be out at night, wear jewelry when I want, and all in all feel safe. Our police department protects us. I’ve heard that even them you can’t trust in Costa Rica. Also, I don’t think I could live on mostly rice and beans. I’m a lots of green leafy vegetables person who believes a salad a day keeps the doctor away. I wish you all well and a safe and happy existence.

Edited on Jan 07, 2009 12:57

2bncr

Marcia, Costa Rica is not for everybody. There are great rewards and risks. When the perceived risks outweigh the perceived rewards, people will choose not to come here.

I personally wish this place was less popular. So its music to my ears to hear that less gringos are coming.

Costa Rica is CENTRAL AMERICA. I wish people would remember that before they consider moving here. There would be a lot less whining about how things are not like back home.

Before CR was for the bold and eccentric adventure types. You met someone here and it was always an experience. Now there are the boring “I’m trying to replicate my US lifestyle for less money” types, complaining about the cable programming. They could care less about Tico life and won’t make any effort to assimilate.

Yes, mid-America is here belly-aching about how things are because some real estate salesman fed them a line, and they did not bother to research it before they bought. We need a good book about the reality of living here. Not just a don’t say anything bad about CR book. Those writers are liars by omission.

I went to one of their websites and the guy had the cajones to say he wished that CR was like it was before, – when he is one of the people most responsible for bringing the influx of Gringos here. Wow, let’s try and have our cake and eat it too. What a hypocrite.

maritimer

. >Costa Rica is CENTRAL AMERICA.

i too have been thinking about moving to CR and have been spending multiple hours a day on this board and a few others
    reading.i have to say thinking of moving to a place where home invasion with brutality is a normal part of life is starting to awaken some serious discouragement.i have over 35 trips to cuba
    on my belt and well i thought costa rica would provide options
    for a healthier lifestyle

i have been on this board all night reading and now i can go to sleep well knowing that there are slim to none odds that my home will be invaded here in montreal my dog being poisend and anyone brutelised . i live in a pakistani ghetto im white and the door is usualy unlocked when i’m home
    i will keep reading this board but i am definatly starting to
    wonder if i could start liking life in the cold

i would like to state an opinion though ,from what i’m reading
    it seems like home invasion style violent robbery is becoming more and more sophisitcated down there with almost no risk or danger to the criminals .

i suggest some serious brainstorming and mabe selfdefence training.i dont agree with shooting someone over a dvd player but in this case if theives don’t start getting shot they will get more comfortable with terrorizing everytime
    also alarm systems are useless, proper discrete video survailance is much more effective for identifying and rooting
    out criminals

maravilla

i had forgotten about this threat. it’s a year later and i haven’t had any problems at all. i got rid of the alarm system and brought down my cattle dog instead. woe be to the ladrone who turns to run from him. oftentimes the home invasions i’ve heard about are inside jobs. i don’t have any more fear living here than i do in rural colorado. getting robbed could happen anywhere, and i would trade the risk of it happening here to me again over spending the winters in the tundra. we now have more full-time residents in our community. we are vigilant to a fault. we watch every car or person who enters our compound. most of us have a dog that we keep inside at night and don’t let run loose during the day.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maritimer”]i have to say thinking of moving to a place where home invasion with brutality is a normal part of life is starting to awaken some serious discouragement.
    [/quote]

The foregoing is the grossest of overexaggerations. While it is true that there are some home invasions in Costa Rica, as there are in the U.S., in Canada, and everywhere else, to characterize them as ” . . . a normal part of life . . .” is ridiculous.

People who live in Costa Rica are also susceptible to being hit by falling satellite parts, thunderbolts, and runaway trains, but the likelihood, like the likelihood of a home invasion, is remote. If one is looking for a reason not to come here, any excuse will do, but don’t characterize home invasion as “a normal part of life” in Costa Rica. It’s not.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.