The new Costa Rican traffic law

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The new Costa Rican traffic law

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

The newly revised traffic law goes into effect in Costa Rica on September 23. Included in it are what seem to me to be draconian penalties for some offenses and also requirements for every vehicle to be equipped as never before. Every time I read the news online, it seems that some new equipment requirement has come to light.

As I now get it, every vehicle will have to have: reflective safety triangles, a fire extinguisher, a safety vest for conspicuity, a first aid kit, a set of battery jumper cables, and a “hands-free” cell phone device. God help us! Maybe I’ve left something out!

With all this stuff, some of it useless in the hands of the untrained, there won’t be any room for a third passenger in the typical sedan. We’ll all be driving vans and SUVs. And what about those of us who cannot or will not get a cell phone? Do we still need the hands-free thingie?

So the question is: Does anyone know of a definitive online list of all this new equipment?

watchdog

I believe that there is a Legislative Committee still studying the new Transit Law, with a view to amending it prior to its implementation on September 23rd, or possibly delaying its implementation. As is the case in the majority of Legislative Enactments in Costa Rica, it is useless to speculate on what the final form will be until it is in-fact implemented. Having said that, I am concerned as well over the content of the current new Transit Law proposal, as Mr. Murray has stated.

Realtor

Traffic Laws and equipment:
    Like most things here it is started without much thought to how it will work and affect the different income levels among the masses. My point is simply that before the Traficos start asking for First-Aid Kits, etc. people should be notified and given at least 60-days to assemble what will be required.
    In addition it should be mandatory for all car dealers to provide an approved first-aid kit with the sale of every car along with triangles and any other mandatory equipment.
    *example: there is a guy that has a rental business just down the street from the reteve inspection station. He rents you the triangles, etc, then after your inspection you return them. How can this create safer highways? That is as bad as the guy they caught selling drivers license tests for $100 ………… did he loose his job, no because he is a government employee. Putting people on the road without knowing the safety rules and regulations is criminal and ultimately will cost lives.
    Once more we have to restrict traffic with the last number of our tags but at the same time we have Beggars, people selling all sorts of things holing up traffic and they don’t care what color the light is. Just as bad; are the cars, trucks, and taxis parked on yellow curbs creating massive problems all day long.
    Everyone could make a difference here by just being courteous! When you see someone trying to pull out in an intersection; slow down, or maybe speed up if necessary to allow him or her the space to merge into the lane. Most of the time; it is just the opposite here which keeps traffic bottled up, and drivers very frustrated. Just this simple kindness will get everyone home or to work quicker and happy. Let’s put Pura Vida in our driving and arrive safely and with a smile.

guru

This sounds like a bonanza for the many petty thieves in Costa Rica. Knowing that the trunk (boot) of EVERY car has jumper cables with copper or aluminum wire that is easily sold as scrap (or as merchandise) will be a bonanza. Once open then anything else of value will be a target. Otherwise, breaking in to car trunks is a gamble with no assurance of any return.

Creating a useful (forget standardized) first aid kit is also quite difficult. Open most small first aid kits and you will find almost nothing useful for your immediate need. The most basic things called for in a standard first aid course will not be there OR in too small a quantity to be useful. If it has ever been opened for any minor injury the odds of needed items being there later are about zero.

I’ve studied standard first aid kits and tried to design my own for shop and auto use. It is very difficult, rapidly gets expensive and the size is always more than convenient. In a serious emergency you need triangular bandages for slings and immobilizing broken bones. A simple head wound which will bleed copiously will take yards more gauze, tape or cloth bandage than will fit in a small kit. Simple liquids for flushing wounds or burns such as saline solution are useless in quantities less than a liter. Besides consumables you need small scissors, tweezers. . .

My goal was to fit a first aid kit into a standard “ammo” case (about 4 x 10 x 10″) which is double or triple the size of the average “kit”, has a water tight gasket and is very durable. It fills up very rapidly. A small suit case or a fabric “gym bag” is closer to the needed size to be useful.

The emergency triangles (it takes more than one) and a cheap reflective vest are a good idea and have little value to a thief other than providing government required safety equipment. . .

As we Gringos say, Sounds like a boon doggle to me. . .

The closest thing we have to this in the U.S. is in boating safety laws. Fire extinguishers, life jackets and emergency paddles (oars) are required on lakes and rivers, more on the ocean. However, the only thing that makes this work is constant inspection by the authorities. Boats are stopped often and the required gear inspected. Out of date fire extinguishers or a damaged flotation device will get you ticketed.

While this sounds well and good people still drown every day. Most often it is someone with no swimming ability that gets into their own boat without wearing a life jacket. The law says there must be one for every person on the boat OR for the rated capacity of the craft. However, it does not make people wear them.

Edited on Aug 25, 2009 16:47

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.