Transformer Cost

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Transformer Cost

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tominbvi

We are building a home in a gated community in Playa Panama. Is it a common practice for the home owner that has the first lot in the development to be responsible for the total cost of the electrical transformer and installation eventhough multiple homes will benefit. I want avoid going through our lawyer to contact landowners. This would only generate more cost to us in lawyers fees and lot owners may not agree. Should it be the responsibility of the Electricity Dept. or the supplierof the transformer to collect the fees from lot owners. The proforma invoice I receved is from Almon S.A. for $3,047.00. The ownership of the transformer is transfered back to Almon S.A. and they are suppose to maintain it.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Absolutely not! You pay for the the whole thing and the rest of the owners get it for free? I’m sure that would make the seller and the new owners very happy but that’s absurd.

This would be considered basic infrastructure costs which the developer (not ICE – the “electricity department”) should pay for and and then he would then recoup his investment as he sells lots to the new owners. ICE would be responsible for maintenance and not the developer.

All of this should have been clearly understood and put in writing BEFORE you bought the lot.

One last thing, the cost of the transformer seems a tad high so I am assuming that includes installation yes?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We are facing a similar problem. ICE is “threatening” to make us buy a transformer exclusively to service our home which is under construction and our existing guest house. I think I understand that the question is whether when we actually hook up the main house its electrical draw reduces the voltage to others in the immediate neighborhood such that an additional transformer is required for their benefit.

If we are forced to install a transformer, we’re being told that the cost will be in the range of $4,000.

Everybody think a good thought . . .

jneiman

ICE SUCKS

The DEVELOPER should definitely cover the cost for a planned community.

I’m not an electrician, but I would think that if your house needs to draw a lot of power, then yes a transformer could be required just to service you. You being added onto the electricity grid in a certain area however shouldn’t be much of an impact.

BTW, uh note to ICE, you make money when more people use your services. If people gotta buy the poles, the transformers, the wires etc from you, then what’s the real point of having you guys around? Bring on CAFTA!

And next time when I call ICE about what the problem is with the power going out for the 5th time in one week, please give me a better answer than “Hay muchas cables”… sheeesh… did I mention ICE sucks?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.