Trouble in the Caribbean

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Trouble in the Caribbean

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

maravilla, would you please first define “narco state” (so we all know what we’re talking about) and then present what evidence you have that Costa Rica is one?

VictoriaLST

Dave, if my son makes $70k and a CEO bakes 7 million or 70 million, my only concern is that my son’s $70k gets him what he needs, allows for some luxuries and lets him save for the future. That’s what is wrong with the video.

maravilla

an area that has been taken over and is controlled and corrupted by drug cartels and where law enforcement is effectively nonexistent;…
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

well, we DO have law enforcement, but they are only marginally good at catching the massive amounts of drugs that transit through this country at any given time. and if you watch the news in Spanish, you’d know that drugs are the biggest problem CR has at the moment.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Dave, if my son makes $70k and a CEO bakes 7 million or 70 million, my only concern is that my son’s $70k gets him what he needs, allows for some luxuries and lets him save for the future. That’s what is wrong with the video.[/quote]

But Victoria, the video only presents objective facts. Those facts are dreived from personal income tax returns and Bureau of Labor Statistics. They have nothing to do with how much your son or anybody else earns or how adequate those earnings are to meet his or their needs.

What’s your objection to reporting the facts?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”] . . .drugs are the biggest problem CR has at the moment.[/quote]

Are drugs really the biggest problem that Costa Rica has at the moment or does the drug problem simply get the most coverage in the news you watch?

What are the next biggest problems Costa Rica has? And how do you know?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]. . . [a narco state is] an area that has been taken over and is controlled and corrupted by drug cartels and where law enforcement is effectively nonexistent;…
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn[/quote]

maravilla, when you characterize Costa Rica as a “narco state”, pursuant to the definition above or as most people think of the term, I think you greatly overstate the case and you do both Costa Rica and those who might consider coming here a real disservice.

A while back, I read a biography of Pablo Escobar, the notorious Columbian drug lord and head of the Cali Cartel. He was famous for either controlling judges, prosecutors and police or killing them. Columbia was a killing field as are some parts of Mexico today.

In no sense of the term, “narco state”, can Costa Rica be characterized as a “narco state” in the sense that Columbia was (and may still be) or as Mexico has become narco states.

To be sure, every sort of illegal substance is available here pretty much wherever you look. Costa Rica has that in common with the rest of the world. And Costa Rica and its coastal waterways are a northbound conduit for drugs bound for the U.S., but the narcotics trade does not control or intimidate the nation’s law enforcement establishment in general. There is no evidence that the National Assembly is stacked with cartel-selected members. And there are, at most, scattered reports of violence that can be directly attributed to drug interests. Are there some drug gangs? Unquestionably, yes, but the presence of a few gangs in a few areas (areas where most of us would never go) hardly qualifies Costa Rica as a “narco state”.

aguirrewar
    Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”aguirrewar”]really???… then read this one

http://qcostarica.com/edition/2013/03/11/costa-rica-becomes-major-drug-transit-point-to-u-s/%5B/quote%5D

But you’re joking with this article, right?

Otherwise, since the Wall Street Journal apparently knows exactly how much cocaine is “transported over land” in Costa Rica we can look forward to this trafficking being eliminated it entirely in 2013, right?

What a joke!

NOBODY has a clue how much drugs are transported through Costa Rica or any other country and as always, it’s Costa Rica’s fault or Colombia’s fault or Bolivia’s or Mexico’s fault and nobody ever mentions the insatiable appetite of the U.S. consumer for all forms of illegal and legal drugs….

I mentioned this in my article at:

[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/2895.cfm]Fewer US Warships in Costa Rica Waters in 2011 – The war on drugs remains a farce[/url].

When I stated that:

“But that would mean that our politicians would be serious about the war on drugs which of course would be a extraordinarily silly and very unprofitable idea for them because as we all know the “war on drugs” is a total farce because “the global drug trade has long been used by empires for fuelling and financing conflict with the aim of facilitating imperial domination.” We only need to look at the pitiful results the “war on drugs” has achieved in Mexico to know this…

But, we – the little people – aren’t supposed to know that…”

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.