Vehicular Restrictions

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Vehicular Restrictions

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    GringoTico

Sorry for the apparently (and unfortunately) arcane reference. Your said first they restrict your driving, next they’ll say you can’t drive an SUV. It’s a classic political argument against anything status quo, and is being used heavily in the case for universal health insurance now (let the government establish a public option, and the next thing you know all health care will be nationalized). The “Domino Theory”, as its called, is used by both liberals and conservatives equally as a scare tactic to put the kybosh on the opposing party’s agenda.

I don’t believe in it. I think that politics and policies are a sliding scale. Sometimes the pendulum does swing pretty widely (like from George W. to Obama, or worse yet from Batista to Castro), but most of the time it just inches a bit to the right or left, as it should.

You’re right, obviously, that they should have been thinking about this many years ago. Unfortunately, the buildings in San Jose were constructed back in the days of the horse-drawn carreta. Making SJ more transitable will eventually mean tearing down a whole bunch of buildings – like Napoleon did in Paris (was that Napoleon?). I think it’s more likely that the city center will simply become pedestrian only (as parts of it already have).

I am, however, surprised you think that roads are easy to fund for a resource-starved country like Costa Rica. I don’t think your idea of tolls to go through downtown will fly either.

It’s a tough nut to crack.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.