We want to buy a home in the Jaco area

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum We want to buy a home in the Jaco area

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    nicharry

We are looking to buy a house in a gated community in the Jaco area. We don’t want to be directly in Jaco, but any surrounding areas within 20 – 30 minutes away will be ideal. We are eventually looking to retire there, but in the meantime we want a property that we can rent out to tourists. We contacted several real estate agents (agencies) and the response was inconsistent from most. The folks that did respond regularly and came across very well are Ocenaside Realty in Jaco. Does anyone know these guys? We are coming on a house hunting trip early December and they have promised to show us many properties. Scott referred a real estate broker/owner to us, but by the time we made contact with him we had already established a rapport with Oceanside Realty. We bought Scott’s book ” How to buy Costa Rica Real Estate…..” but while we wait for its arrival does anyone have any comments or advice on the whole process? We keep hearing about how a lot of Real Estate agents aren’t regulated and it makes us nervous.

Andrew
    Keymaster

There are over 1,600 articles full of expert advice on this site plus a Help-U-Search facility which you may have used but you have obviously already decided who you would like to work with…

There is more information in my book than you are likely to get in a Discussion Forum comment and we wish you all the best in your search…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

dabulis

Dear Nicharry,

I am currently building a home in this area and I also have another piece of property I am going to be putting up for sale.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Dear dabulis

I have deleted the part where you are trying to sell your real estate.

You might want to review the rules of this forum again which state quite clearly – “Remember that ‘commercial posts’ where someone is obviously trying to promote or sell something, are not allowed and will be deleted by one of our Moderators.”

Don’t do it again

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

poppell

FYI: I purchased in Playa Bejuco (Estorillos), signing a purchase agreement 3 yrs ago. My criteria were: 1. security 2. price 3. location
    I got the best security in a gated community and my 2br/2b house cost $109k (it now cost $160K from the same builder). and it is 500m to the beach. I waited over a yr for completion/occupancy and another 2 before the community was finished, still don’t have my title. I furnished it for 3K after the builder put in Kitchen appliances and a basic furinture pkg. drapes, wooden blinds, TV-DVD, CD, pub table & stools, wall decorations, linens, washer/dryer.
    I have a property manager that takes 20% on rentals. It is rented starting in Jan. for 6mo to another family waiting for construction on their home. i have not had great demand for weekly rentals like I hoped. very sporadic.
    The word in estorillos is that workers in the Jaco boom need long term rentals for family homes.

rebaragon

Poppell, Have you considered also working with other agents in the area to promote your rental? The local workers would not typically choose your type of rental, it would probably be too expensive for their means. Tourist typically look for rentals during the dry season only and any rentals during the rainy season should probably be considered gravy rather than income you come to count on or expect–no matter what any developer says…

nicharry

Poppell, this is very useful information. We need to consider what we really want in terms of investment versus a retirement home. We love the Bejuco (Esterillos) area and will hope to find something in that area. How often do you check on your home there? What is the infrastructure like there – especially in terms of water. We keep hearing that water can sometimes be an issue.

nicharry

Hi Scott, as you can surely appreciate, this is a huge deal for us. So, to limit ourselves to one source or even a few we don’t think is very wise. We want to go into this with our eyes wide open. I find this site very useful and I have recommended it to people. But for us, the more information we can get the better. No harm in that.

Cheers,

N

Minuit

Poppell,

You must know Shirley in Bejuco or her daughter Jackie. They are the reference for renting homes on Bejuco Beach, and when someone is looking for a vacation home, I always tell them to call her. They often have more people wanting to rent than houses availables…they would certainly like to have your house on their list, unless your property manager has the exclusivity of the rent within the gated community..don’t know what their commission is though…Jo

poppell

I do not know Shirley….can you provide contact info?

poppell

Water is from the city of Parrita….it can go off during the dry season & it can be a nuisance. I just work around it as a single person, it is what it is. If a house hs 6 people in it and all need a morning shower…good luck.
    It has never been a real problem though.
    Until this year when health issues arose, I have been visiting 5-6 times a yr.
    The security is very good and my home is right next to the guard gate at the entrance to the community. No problems, ever on that. Electric is from ICE, no problems. Cable Tica is now available and my property manager is handling the install of basci cable. I have no phone installed.

Minuit

Poppell, here is Jackie’s phone number: 778-8078. She lives right on the beach, about 4 or 5 houses before Delphin… Very nice helpful person. Good Luck Jo

Minuit

posted 2wice by mistake

Edited on Nov 21, 2007 05:04

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.