What Is Your #1 Concern About Living In Costa Rica?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum What Is Your #1 Concern About Living In Costa Rica?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    sstarkey

Español no es problema para mí. Las cucarachas son otro asunto.

waggoner41

[quote=”Conniejog”]So, your cats kill whatever they like and Nature in Costa Rica suffers for your presence.
    I think that is sad.[/quote]

The reference was to [b]bugs[/b]. They seem to have a special liking for the large insects primarily those nice big fat cockroaches that make a nice [b]crunch[/b].
    These are cats we found on the streets in need of food and a home.:D
    What we can do is catch a few of them for you and let you work on saving the species.:roll:

maravilla

i hate cucas. they get in no matter what! and if you leave your clothes on the floor, well, just be sure to rustle them before you put them on or you could be in for a big surprise. i don’t have a clue where they come from or how they get in, but they do, even with all the boric acid balls i leave around and the stuff i spray outside the doors. i wish i had cats. my dogs are useless.

1598ukusa

I love all the bugs (MOST of the bugs…). As a former zookeeper & U.S.V.I. dweller, I’m ready for that end of things. Have known some honking big rats too! But I learned the hard way not to step on those humongous cucarachas-I skidded & fell. House lizards are a good thing.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have to tell you that I saw WAY more cockroaches in my building on 50 West 72nd Street in Manhattan, New York that I have ever seen in any of the more-than-a-dozen homes I have lived in here in Costa Rica…

I also saw WAY more rats in New York City than I have seen in Costa Rica…

Scott

waggoner41

[quote=”maravilla”] if you mind cohabitating with insect life, you better not move here. it’s you against them, and if the cats eat a few thousand thumb-size cucarachas, so what?[/quote]
    The down side is they bring them into the house to dine and we are left with cleaning up all the left over legs.

[quote=”maravilla”]every day is a spanish lesson in costa rica. do not underestimate the importance of being able to communicate in spanish. without the language, you are missing out on the very essence of living here.[/quote]

This is the Tico society and we make every effort to fit in. Concern for domestic animals is something that sets us gringos apart from the majority of Ticos. Too many times we have seen dogs confined to a yard too small or tied to a one ft chain and, along with cats, underfed or in obvious need of veterinary care. Most Ticos look at them as possessions rather than companions. The payback is the incredible loyalty of the animals.

[quote=”maravilla”]my biggest worry about living in costa rica is that there will be way too many gringos which will change the fabric of the culture, as i have already seen it do in the 5.5 years i’ve been here. the only encouraging thing is that 40% of them hightail it home in less than two years.[/quote]

The 40% are those who find it too difficult to fit within the Tico culture. We are still left with many who rather than tring to fit in are intent on making this culture conform to them.

Ltchida
    Participant

We are not yet in CR. and we look forward to embracing the enchantments of this place, our concern would be…
    incidental, unexpected expenses related to ourselves and children in the USA. For example if one of our children wanted to visit and they are short on money, will we be in a position to help them out. More realistically, can we handle some of the major tragedies that come in life.

waggoner41

[quote=”maravilla”]i hate cucas. they get in no matter what! and if you leave your clothes on the floor, well, just be sure to rustle them before you put them on or you could be in for a big surprise. i don’t have a clue where they come from or how they get in, but they do, even with all the boric acid balls i leave around and the stuff i spray outside the doors. i wish i had cats. my dogs are useless.[/quote]

We’ve seen many adoption ferias for dogs but never cats. If you are serious inquire at the local agrocentro.

maravilla

unexpected expenses and tragedies are a part of life no matter where you are living. and most people are never prepared, even if they believe they are. i have a big concern about what would happen if my husband died in costa rica. he’s italian and his family has a mausoleum that’s over 400 years old, so i’d have to ship the body to italy, (a real hassle), but i don’t worry about it. and whatever happens in the States, you are really only a few hours away by air — it’s not as if you are in Antarctica.

maravilla

actually, scott reminded me of how many cucas i used to have in manhattan — a lot more than here in costa rica, plus we had lots and lots of mice! i don’t really care for cats. they don’t last long in my hood anyway because the ones who go out at night usually wind up being coyote supper.

waggoner41

[quote=”ltchida”]We are not yet in CR. and we look forward to embracing the enchantments of this place, our concern would be…
    incidental, unexpected expenses related to ourselves and children in the USA. For example if one of our children wanted to visit and they are short on money, will we be in a position to help them out. More realistically, can we handle some of the major tragedies that come in life.[/quote]

When my wife and I first visited Costa Rica we knew we were home. Nothing else mattered.
    As Maravilla pointed out, 40% find that they can’t deal with Costa Rica and go back within 2 years.

sueandchris

We are just three weeks away from our move to Costa Rica. I guess I feel that the pleasure of living and being challenged by a different culture will probably outweigh my few concerns. But those concerns would be:

Theft….it seems to be pervasive and we will take some steps to secure the things we would not wish to have to replace. We too hope to become good neighbors in our little town and perhaps folks will help us with good advice. Another friend who lives there advised to accept the reality and then stop dwelling on the issue. Good advice for probably most thorny problems.

Language….to work on becoming at least conversational so as to have a deeper experience with life in Costa Rica.

To accept the extreme challenge (and long-desired dream) to “learn to be still”.

Making new friends, ex-pat and Tico.

Just some thoughts, oh and to try to remember that “poop happens”….everywhere!

waggoner41

[quote=”sueandchris”] We are just three weeks away from our move to Costa Rica. I guess I feel that the pleasure of living and being challenged by a different culture will probably outweigh my few concerns. But those concerns would be:

Theft….it seems to be pervasive and we will take some steps to secure the things we would not wish to have to replace. We too hope to become good neighbors in our little town and perhaps folks will help us with good advice.[/quote]

One thing to remember is that theft, much of the time, is self inflicted.
    Living in a community of expats invites the professional thieves. They become familiar with the communities and watch for an opportunity.
    The drunks and drugies are thieves of opportunity looking for their next fix and usually steal what they can find, carry on foot and sell.
    The former are apt to have firearms but not the latter. Good neighbors and dogs, big dogs, are a deterrent but bars and gates not so much. Lock your doors at night and when you are away. Try not to set a pattern in your absences. Realize that the crime rate is probably less than in the US.

[quote=”sueandchris”]Another friend who lives there advised to accept the reality and then stop dwelling on the issue. Good advice for probably most thorny problems.[/quote]
    Thorns are a part of life. Patience is necessary and I am still learning that.

[quote=”sueandchris”]Language….to work on becoming at least conversational so as to have a deeper experience with life in Costa Rica.[/quote]

Professionals and those who sre well educated usually speak some English but day to day I still have a helper along who understands my particular version of Spanglish. The Spanish language is spoken too rapidly and many Ticos do not understand the concept of “despacio” (slowly).

[quote=”sueandchris”]To accept the extreme challenge (and long-desired dream) to “learn to be still”.[/quote]

It does require a sense of adventure and life is lived at a slower pace but, for me, there is always something else that prohibits the “be still”.

[quote=”sueandchris”]Making new friends, ex-pat and Tico.[/quote]

Friends and patience are two keys to enjoying a beautiful country and its friendly people..

gzeniou

1-Crime (by far)
    2-Mail system
    3-Americanization (I guess Chinese can fit here too)
    4-Bugs (this one is from my wife)
    5-Earthquakes

We are half time residents, which started in March of 2010.

maravilla

just a note on leaving your doors open — 5 days ago i discovered that my laundry room door was not secured and the only time i could remember using that door was several months ago, so while i have been putting the dowels in the sliders at night, and securing all the windows, i have had an unsecured door for maybe as long as 3 months or more!!! i’m still alive, and still have all my stuff. jejeje

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.