Why EX PATS have a right to care about what is going on at home.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Why EX PATS have a right to care about what is going on at home.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    aguirrewar

You must have a lot of $$$ to rent for 4 years until the elections come and then FLY to the USA and vote.

Are you implying this is legal and correct?

What would happen if they find out you have not lived in that apartment for 47 months.

Someone is always looking for that ANGLE where they can bend the rules without breaking them.

Are you one of them??

Just asking

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Imxploring”]
    The well published fact that 44%-47% of folks don’t pay ANY Federal tax has been around for a while. [/quote]

The foregoing may be “well published”, but it is certainly not a “fact” in the sense that it’s true. What is true is that some 47% of American tax payers pay [b]no federal [u]income[/u] tax[/b].

Every wage-earning worker including the self-employed is responsible for the payroll taxes that support Social Security and Medicare. Every wage earner pays those taxes — every one. No group of 47 million is exempt.

They also pay the federal fuel taxes, the excise taxes on their telephone bills, the federal taxes on airline travel, etc. So while they may not pay federal income taxes on April 15th, they are hardly exempt from those other most regressive taxes.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Expats have a legal right to be registered as voters in that state in the U.S. in which they last had legal residence. It has nothing to do with renting or owning property or being physically present in that or any other state. Nor does it have anything to do with being a taxpayer.

As expats, however, we are only eligible to vote in federal elections in our last state of residence. We can vote for the President, senators, and the congressional representative in the congressional district where we last lived. We cannot vote for state or local officials.

maravilla

[size=200]ABSENTEE BALLOTS[/size]

aguirrewar

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Expats have a legal right to be registered as voters in that state in the U.S. in which they last had legal residence. It has nothing to do with renting or owning property or being physically present in that or any other state. Nor does it have anything to do with being a taxpayer.

As expats, however, we are only eligible to vote in federal elections in our last state of residence. We can vote for the President, senators, and the congressional representative in the congressional district where we last lived. We cannot vote for state or local officials.[/quote]

HAD LAST LEGAL RESIDENCE.

No you don’t, present License (Driver) and residence are KEY to vote. You have to live in the City, County, State.

“Nor does it have anything to do with being a taxpayer.”

ARE you sure of this statement?? Because a tax payer cannot vote on this single definition. I might have a legal Visa to work in the USA and pay taxes but that does not give me a right to VOTE. Checck your refences FIRST.

aguirrewar

[quote=”maravilla”][size=200]ABSENTEE BALLOTS[/size][/quote]

Only a legal USA resident can use an ABSETEE BALLOT.

Military outside the country or a LEGAL USA citizen in a LEGAL leave.

LEGAL is the key to an absentee Ballot.

Don’t try your illegal moves to be leagal and don’t try to VOTE from outside the USA.

Would you permit illegals to Vote in the USA with your CLAIMS??????????

Try again!!

maravilla

i know lots of people who live in costa rica and other countries and STILL vote in the prez election. what is the criteria then? i am a US citizen and i still own property in the US. Are you telling me i cannot vote against the teabaggers in the next election?

maravilla

okay, children, stop bickering — here are the facts.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/living/overseas_voting/overseas_voting_4754.html

waggoner41

[quote=”Imxploring”]
    In the US we’re paying the price now… besides trying to be the world’s voice of “freedom”… and police at the same time. We’ve created our own path to ruin with a lot of folks that think they have a RIGHT to everything… and they have insured those rights by bringing a bunch more folks into the world that were born into, and raised with this same belief! Much like a Ponzi scheme, this one has run it’s course… time to run…[/quote]

You’re right in much of what you say but the issues go back further than the 1930’s. The first grand mistake was the creation of the Federal Reserve in 1913, setting the debt limit in dollars rather than as a percent of GDP in 1917, taking the dollar off of the gold standard in 1972, supply side economics in 1981, recision of Glass-Steagall in 1999 and over regulation over the years are just some of the major causes of this recession.

The Social Security issue is a result of ignoring the baby boom bubble and longer life spans back in the 1960’s.

It’s all political and we all know it. Now we have a congress elected for their ideological bent rather than their intelligence and common sense.

sprite

You are all being distracted by this political nonsense while the rug is being pulled out from under you. What a waste of good intentions and energy!

I bought property in Costa Rica for a home not because the US and much of the world is collapsing. I can’t do a thing about that and neither can any or all of you together. I chose Costa Rica for the some of the same reasons as many of you, I am sure; the beautiful people and scenery and, most of all, for me, the perfect Central Valley weather.

I SUSPECT that no matter what your political disposition is, no matter what country you left, you will find that Costa Rica may be one of the safer, more comfortable places to live once the world wide collapse gets under way. It’s just a hunch.

For all of your talk about political issues, how many of you will return to the States, Canada and Great Britain to “help out” when those countries begin to shred and disintegrate? How many will stay put in your new Costa Rican homes?

waggoner41

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”waggoner41″]Those who hold power worldwide are not about to destroy the very source of their power, consumers, in a military conflagration
    [/quote]

Waggoner, you are making the mistake of believing that the power holders are as rational as you are…[/quote]

You are correct that sanity has left the seats of power whether in Washington or Wall Street.

Addressing your following post… we did make the decision to move to Costa Rica before the meltdown for the very reasons you state. A beautiful country and wonderful people on the periphery of the world stage is a good place to be. We never had intentions of going back. You dont leave Paradise for Hell even if it is to visit. We returned to say our last good-byes in person in 2009. My extended family is quite large but unless they decide to visit here we will never see them again face to face.

That said, we [b]all[/b] have those we care about whom we have left behind and the industrial world is on the verge of economic collapse. We do have a right to care about what happens to those we left behind.

Consider this though…we have seen protests before, anti war, the hippies generation and the civil rights movement but what we have never seen is a movement that has spread so far so fast as the Occupy Wall Street protests. From a couple of hundred students on Wall Street to a worldwide protest in hundreds of cities world wide within the space of a month and a half and still growing exponentially. Although violence has been minimal to this point I think it will become very violent in some areas before very long.

I am led to wonder what will come next. Taking the incident in Oakland on the 27th as an example there are many who are thinking that those in authority may be going too far. There may be an anti-authority backlash that might put more people on the streets in protest and it might become something beyond the capability of law enforcement to control. If the military is called in to suppress the movement what comes next?

If those in the military see their friends and family who, even though they may not be out in the streets, are voicing their distaste for the violent reaction of law enforcement, what will they do? Will they join in the suppression of the movement or will they desert rather than confront those they care about?

The greed of the few at the expense of the vast majority might just produce something very unexpected. Might there be a repeat of the Arab Spring throughout the industrial world?

Just thinking.

maravilla

i, for one, have no intentions of going back “there.” i’ve been back for 8 days in the last 3 years, and that was a year ago, and the first thing i thought was “wow, this place is really weird,” after living in latin america. given the choice, i would rather be here any day and deal with the latin locura.

sprite

[quote=”waggoner41″]

The greed of the few at the expense of the vast majority might just produce something very unexpected. Might there be a repeat of the Arab Spring throughout the industrial world?

Just thinking.[/quote]

Waggoner, you do well to stay put and you are in an enviable position considering what is coming. However, I do not wish an Arab Spring on the rest of the world as it did not turn out too well for them.

The Egyptians now have a military tyranny worse than the one they had before. The Lybians have been infected by and now governed by Al Qaida terrorists who will impose their barbaric Islamic laws and destroy that nation by helping the West loot the place as it did in Iraq. Of course, an Arab Spring is EXACTLY what the globalists are going to bring to the US and Europe…for the same reason and for the same results.

james007

Yes, the US is falling apart quickly. The OWS is by design, the government is hoping anarchy devolops, so they can enact Marshal law, the endgame for them to stay in power. They need civil unrest for their cause.

aguirrewar

Well at some point in time people will leave CR about the same proportion they leave the USA just wait until the collapse happens in CR or is PARADISE an eternal IDEA??

I am bound to this CREATURE, meaning the USA because of what it means but if we have a drain of the BEST then we leave the other to fend for themselves

The arrogance of ROMAN people living in Spain, Germany, Palestine and other countries trying to escape the Roman rules and regulations while still trying to impose the Emperors rule did not help them

I could make the Sahara desert the BEST place to live with the right people or PARADISE in CR a living hell with the wrong ones

The country does not make it the BEST, it is the people that make it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.