Wiring update – Romex?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Wiring update – Romex?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    snoshoovt
    Participant

I have a small house near Tilaran, Guanacaste which needs some wiring update. Currently there are unprotected single wires in the attic with downleads twisted to a main line. Question is, can Romex type wiring be used in this dry location, or must everything be in conduit? If must be in conduit, is this a “code” issue, or because of climate, or just local custom?
    Thanks for any help on this.
    John

harvcarp

John,

This is typical old style Tico wiring. Actually Costa Rica has adopted the NEC (National Electric Code) Two problems with this, 1. No one knows what it is and 2. It is impossible to get all the materials which are code compliant. ie. UL listings for material.

You definitely should change your wiring as you already know. Typical and relatively safe would be conduit and Thhn wire, junction boxes with covers and wire nuts.(buy the wire nuts yourself and insist they be used) pull up an install video from You tube to show them how. I would not allow ANY tape splices. Tape is an insulator not a connector!

Also as SJ cable(black extension cord style) can be used in lieu of romex. It is not code compliant but if the proper gauge and circuit breaker is used it will function well.
    If you can find romex great! It is rated for dry locations. The code for this (NM or NMC) is easily found online.

In general a proper electrical system provides physical protection for all conductors. (When finished you cant see any wires because they are in junction boxes with attached covers) (Think if a fault occurs let it be in a cover box not in your open attic)

Also ampacity of wires and circuit breakers must conform for a safe system.

A lot of info is available online The NEC is close to 1000 pages and can take years to learn. In Costa Rica Sometimes you have to find the best way possible with the materials available. A word of caution, I have not met an electrician here yet who knows what they’re doing in the overall picture. (electric is just physics after all) Lack of an educational system, confidence and ignorance seem to prevail.

The educated electricians in this country are working in the Industrial and high end commercial areas.

As to your question, sorry its not that simple, but you may use romex .
    you may contact me at: danschild@gmail.com

snoshoovt
    Participant

Danschile,
    Thanks so much for your very helpful reply, all of which makes perfect sense to me as I’ve done quite a bit of wiring in the US and understand the code issues. We’re tentatively working with a Swiss electrician who has lots of experience and seems to know how to “do it right”, if not “overkill”, othewise I wouldn’t even think of proceeding without being there watching every step. It does help to know we’re not locked in to conduit if Romex can be used safely including well protected and supported, and of course dry.
    Thanks again,
    John

waggoner41

[quote=”harvcarp”] As to your question, sorry its not that simple, but you may use romex .[/quote]

I have yet to encounter Romex in Costa Rica. Is there any information as to where it might be purchased?

wspeed1195

your friends purchase it at Lowes and bring it to you.you pay for it and it’s lading,then house them,have BBQ’s and such,send them back after A week.
    repeat cycle.

costaricafinca
    Participant

It is expensive but it is available at the Do-It Center just outside of Liberia. We just bought some.

waggoner41

[quote=”wspeed1195″]your friends purchase it at Lowes and bring it to you.you pay for it and it’s lading,then house them,have BBQ’s and such,send them back after A week.
    repeat cycle.[/quote]

Or a better idea now that you remind me of it. I manage the house behind for my neighbors while they are in the States. They’ll be back about December and we should have that BBQ anyway.

snoshoovt
    Participant

Actually I’m planning on bringng all the Romex and other supplies I need on the next trip down, taking advantage of the very liberal free baggage allowance and relatively low cost tickets from BOS to SJO, the total price is only a small fraction of sending the stuff separately. Having friends bring supplies is also an excellent idea which we may do, they get a holiday and I get very affordable shipping. My partner and I recently brought down almost 300 pounds of stuff at no extra charge with no problem and no customs issues, thank you AA.
    Pura vida!
    John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.